Thursday, July 9, 2009

Jakarta The Sin City ..or the soulful city

Welcome to Jakarta,

If people call Vegas as sin city, then Jakarta would be Asia's Sin City... The sparkling dangerous night life, the lifestyle, the contrast difference between social status, the food, fashion, politics, pollution...everything crumpled into one city. J A K A R T A.

Once colonized by the Dutch, it has grown into a metropolitan Muslim city inhabited by people from many racial backgrounds. Good looking people of a mix between westerners and indos are often found on billboards or TVs and cinemas..heaps of them.

The good thing of being away from my mum in this city is the habit of not eating a lot. Media pressure for girls are enormous. Getting slim in Asian standard is so encouraged. Everywhere you go, rarely you see chubby chicks, I am considered chubby here ( Asian standard ). Scared of driving in the crazy roads of Jakarta, it prevents me to just wander off to some eating places and eat whatever I want. It isn't like Perth where I can just drive off to Fast Ed or 24hr McD without having the need to ask for anyone's permission and to watch out for snakey annoying motorcycles.

But I like it here. The city has a lot to offer in terms of entertainment and night life, but I just have to watch out...it's a sin city where everything is possible. I have to guard myself..and if I can control myself, life here can be good. It's just sad how racial discrimination still exist, but I guess I can't just pity myself.. I have to focus and get what I want, screw racial discrimination.. Agnes can beat it.

So far, this is my impression of my hometown...No matter how long I've been educated in Australia, I always want to go back to Jakarta...to the Sin City.


Umm...maybe I'll just change it to the Soulful City :p~

No comments:

Post a Comment